Tuesday, November 15, 2011

     I am on the road with my dog Pepper in tow and brought a couple of the old cook books with me. I have been looking at one called "Just Like Mother Made". It is a small soft back book from the Ozarks. This one is the Twelfth printing and I can not find a date on it. It looks really old though as the pages are starting to yellow a bit.  Like I said, it is not a big book, more like pamphlet size and when it was new it cost $1.25. It has 72 pages and I can not wait to try some of he things in it. I am not sure when we in this country started using measures abbreviations like Tbsp or Tsp, we all know what those are of course. In this book that I got at auction they use a capitol "T" for tablespoon and a lower case "t" for the teaspoon measure. I have seen other cook books like this before and I think I remember them being from the late forties.

      There are recipes in it like "Paper Sack Apple Pie" (I have no clue, haven't read anything of it but the title yet),Tomato Rolls, Mother's Gems, Ozark Pudding, and Butter Crust Chicken With Rye Dressing Balls. That is just a sample of what is in this 72 page booklet. I want to try something from it this weekend but I have not had enough time to really look it over. No rush, I'll get to it. All we have is time right. I hope this adventure of going through my cook books turns out to be a great one. I had to come up with a reason to justify my habit or addiction to buying them somehow. Why not share. I am not that versed at setting up this blog so bear with me. I will try to put tags on all the recipes so they are searchable by genre and such. I hope this blossoms into something fun. I will be using pictures as well while I try these recipes so this blog may become picturesque as well LOL.

stay tuned

Tim 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us what you think.