Thursday, February 2, 2012

GERMAN PANCAKES

Recently I discovered a recipe that was a little odd to say the least. I have about 150 or more cook books most of them very old but I was browsing the Internet when I found this one. Have you ever heard of a German Pancake? I know that I had never heard of it but let me tell you, it looked delicious and we were not to be disappointed, it was fantastic! This is a very simple recipe and I am shocked that I have never seen this before. Of course my mother has heard of it, she seems to know everything. We even nicknamed her Google.

OK here is what you need

An 8 inch cast iron skillet ( there is a recipe for a 16 inch I'll put that at the bottom)

1/4 cup of butter
1 cup of milk
4 eggs
1/2 tsp vanilla extract ( I used a smidge more, I like vanilla )
1 cup flour ( I used all purpose )
2 tbsp sugar
brown sugar
pecan pieces

Pre-heat your oven to 425 degrees

Place the butter in the skillet and place in the oven until butter is melted.


Combine the milk, eggs and vanilla in a bowl and beat until combined.

Stir in flour and sugar, beat until smooth. Then pour the batter into the hot buttered pan.
Bake for 18-20 minutes or until it is puffed up and brown around the edges. Don't freak out when this thing climbs up over the top of the pan. Trust me, it won't go anywhere.

It will have a delish butter slick on top when you take it out. At this point is where I added my soul to this dish. Once it was out of the oven I sprinkled brown sugar all over the top and waited for that to caramelize before I cut it. The next time I make this I am going to carefully open the oven door and slide the oven rack out enough to add the Brown Sugar and the pecan pieces at about the 16 minute mark. 

We poured some maple syrup over it and between me and Kim, well,,,,we devoured it!
It was light and creamy in the middle almost like a whipped cheese cake filling. It really is hard to describe, you just have to taste it for yourself.

Here is the recipe for the 16 inch skillet version. if you have a large family I recommend that you use it or bake two 8 inch skillets at the same time.

16 inch cast iron skillet
3/4 cup of butter
3 cups of milk
12 eggs
1.5 tsp vanilla extract
3 cups all flour
6 tbsp sugar

I would expect that the cooking time is roughly the same, just watch the edge so it doesn't burn.

I hope you enjoy this I know we did immensely!

Tim

2 comments:

  1. Really interesting pancake recipe, thanks for sharing! It's kind of a pancake pie, especially with the way you served it, and who doesn't love pie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have to try it! I may have to have this again this weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Tell us what you think.