Thursday, February 2, 2012

THE FLAVOR BIBLE

well what can I say, here I am still in this truck driving my life away instead of cooking and gardening. I am in Wisconsin at the moment waiting on Walmart to get me unloaded, then I will head to Appleton and reload headed to St. Louis. From there I hope I am going home for the weekend. It is SuperBowl Sunday but I don't really care about that. I do however hope that the Giants whip the stuffin out of the Patriots.

In food news My daughter gave me a book for Christmas!

This is an amazing book! It has all kinds of secrets from chefs around the world in it. It is really a manual on how food flavor profiles work together. In this book the vast majority of the pages are filled with a flavor table of sorts. It lists the ingredient and then lists the tyoe of flavor it is, for instance whether or not it is salty, sweet, bitter, etc. then the strength of the flavor, the heaviness of the item itself (dense, light, etc)  and the season that it is at its peak flavor. After that brief introduction you get a listing of the other flavors or ingredients that it goes well with. There are bolt typed ingredients that are highly recommended by the experts and then there are bold typed with an * symbol, these are the " Holy Grail " of that ingredient's flavor profile. For instance, Tomato's and Basil are a holy grail.

I have read through this book to about the half way point and have not found many holy grails, those that I have found made perfect sense to me. I look forward to inventing through this book in the future. Gotta go they just called me on the radio to tell me that my trailer is empty.

More on this book later and I have news on the garden front as well. We have a new member in the family in the cultivating category.


peace
Tim

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us what you think.