Thursday, March 19, 2009

The Begining

Well, here we are. Where do you start? We decided that the lower kitchen counter that houses the sink and the three drawer one to the left of it had to go. We found out through a friend of my fathers that there was an Amish cabinet outlet about 2 hours north of here where you could buy cabinets around half price. So we headed up there and bought two to replace the ones that I mentioned. We only paid $75.00 a piece for them when they normally would be over $200.

The kitchen back splash was a nasty, out dated, sorta tile mosaic, so I knocked that down and had my carpenter buddy put up bead board there. We added a couple of outlets as the only outlet there was mounted under the cabinet and had an outlet bar plugged into it. There is a recessed light over the sink but we could not find the switch for it anywhere. My carpenter friend Sean found it mounted under the cabinet so he put in a new box on the wall and installed a new switch.












































































The Washer and dryer are in the kitchen and that was giving us grief, we thought about later building out the side patio into a sort of utility room but then we decided to just enclose it into a closet with a pair of bi fold doors. here it is waiting to be closed up.























Last for now, the range hood was a nasty green color. We looked into just replacing it but we found that the cheapest one we found was going to cost around $168.00 so I got this great idea to sand it and paint it. I went to the local auto parts store and bought a spray can of gloss black engine enamel. It worked like a charm.









































































It turned out great but there is one problem. I forgot to cover it up and tape it off when I started painting the cabinets above it. Yea, I gotta take it down and re-paint it. At least I know that my idea worked. I don't have a picture of it after I ruined it and I probably won't take one either. Why share my pain?
Peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us what you think.