Saturday, March 21, 2009

Water and sewer problems

Well we got lucky when we moved here and didn't have to many problems with this old house. Let me give you a short back story, This house has been shut up for about four years or more and we were nervous about turning on the gas and water. Everything seemed to be working OK, then I hooked up the washer. About the second load, water started filling up in the bathtub and the water in the toilet was getting sucked down. Not to mention that there was an access point at ground level at the back of the house that was not sealed and it was spewing sewage into the yard. One call to the local plumber and he had a machine over here grinding its way to the main sewer out under the street. The sewer runs fine now but I have a wet spot out in the yard near the garage.

At one time there was a mobile home behind this house. I guess it was rental property or something. There is a sewer pipe leading off that access point heading in that direction about six inches below ground. There is also a cable T.V. line running under the ground heading in that direction. So it is safe to assume that there are gas and water lines going out there too. The gas is not hooked up going out there because the meter it not hooked up for it. I don't smell sewage there so I am assuming that the water line that was for that trailer is still out there and leaking out under the ground. At the moment I can't afford to have it looked at as I haven't gotten my first pay check from work yet. I thought about finding someone with a metal detector to see where to dig but I don't know anyone that has one. If its PVC that wont work. I will more than likely have to crawl under the house and see where they hooked it up at. there is only one meter that I know of so I'm guessing that they hooked it up from the house line somewhere. I'll know how bad it is when I get the first water bill.

Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us what you think.